The Danish Trade Council in North America seeks a Junior Commercial Advisor for United Nations Procurement and the Sustainable Development Goals
Position: Junior Commercial Adviser
Type of employment: Full time, two-year contract with possibility of extension
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Consulate General of Denmark in New York
885 Second Avenue 18th Floor, New York, NY 10017
Deadline for application: November 21, 2017
The Danish Trade Council in North America (“TC”) is experiencing a steady increase in the need to support and grow Denmark’s procurement towards the United Nations (“UN”) system. In addition, the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is an unprecedented opportunity for Danish companies to export and promote solutions that will help achieve the SDGs. In New York we are positioned to catalyze these ambitions to a new level. Therefore, we are seeking to expand the team with a dedicated Junior Commercial Advisor to support and advance the Trade Council’s initiatives.
You will be part of the SDG and Procurement Team and will be working with team members in Washington, D.C., Chicago, Toronto and Silicon Valley. An essential pillar is a collaboration with the Permanent Mission of Denmark to the United Nations in New York.
As a TC-team member, you will be part of a dynamic team focused on assisting Danish companies entering into or expanding current operations with the UN system. Your primary focus will be:
Executing the initiatives and objectives of the current UN Procurement and SDG engagement strategy for Danish companies (global public affairs).
Executing individual business development engagements with Danish companies interested in UN Procurement.
Help build relevant network, research and partnerships to support Danish companies.
Skills & success criteria:
- A Bachelor's degree and/or other relevant work experience
- Work experience with the UN, e.g. procurement or any other private sector involvement is appreciated
- Strong understanding of the interlinkage between politics and business
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Tools, other tools appreciated
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong interest in the UN and the SDGs
- Fluency in English; Danish fluency is an advantage but not required
- Strong work ethic and integrity; Team player, yet able to work independently
- Motivated by an informal, highly energetic work environment where we strive to deliver exceptional client service, support each other, work smart and have fun.
- Highly organized, attentive to details and capable of: Multitasking & managing / tracking parallel execution activities o Meeting target deliverables including timelines.
- Flexible, efficient and able to prioritize.
- Proactive approach, problem solver and solution-oriented.
- Reliable and consistent in work quality.
- Positive attitude and able to work under pressure.
- You will be offered full-time employment for two years with the possibility of extension on a local contract.
- You will be entitled to five weeks (25 days) of paid holiday per year.
- Your employment contract is regulated according to the Staff Rules of the Consulate General of Denmark in New York
- Your salary will reflect your qualifications, relevant experience and proven work-related results.
- As part of your salary you can be covered by a workplace pension scheme.
- You and your dependant family members will be offered reasonable coverage of sickness expenses.
- Other benefits: potential year-end bonus.
Application and recruitment process
To apply for the position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, proof of relevant education, recommendations and 2-3 references) in English to Consulate General at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title the subject line: “Junior Commercial Adviser Application. Your name”
Application deadline: November 21, 2017.
The Consulate General attaches great importance to equal opportunities for all and therefore welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of race, sex, religion, age or disability.
Selected candidates will be invited for interviews – expected to take place end of November.
The chosen candidate must present a “No Criminal Record” and pass security clearance by the Danish authorities prior to appointment.
For any questions regarding this position, please contact Head of Trade, Joan Hentze, email@example.com.
About the Consulate General in New York/Trade Council of Denmark:
The Consulate General of Denmark is a dynamic workplace that represents Denmark’s commercial and cultural relationship with the New York City and the UN. We are approximately 27 colleagues at the Consulate General with a busy and professional workday.
The Trade Department consists of several industry sectors with team members working together across North America at our various Missions. The Trade Council is the governmental export and investment promotion organization under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. The organization comprises all governmental activities designed to promote Danish export and foreign investment in Denmark under one roof. Our purpose is to bring value to our clients in Denmark in terms of growth and job creation. For further information visit www.usa.um.dk/en.